Sillect Insurance Services Inc.

Need a free Auto Quote?

Click Your State

 Who must need to have a driving license in California?

Who must need to have a driving license in California?

California Residents

California residents who drive on public highways or use parking facilities that are open to the public must have a California DL unless they are:

  • An officer or employee of the U.S. government operating a vehicle owned or controlled by the U.S. government on federal business, except when operating a commercial motor vehicle.
  • Driving or operating implements of husbandry not operated or moved over a highway.
  • Driving or operating an off-highway vehicle across a highway.

California Resident Military Personnel (U.S. Armed Forces)

If you are out of state on active military duty and have a valid California DL, you and your spouse’s California DL will be valid for the full time you are absent from California and for 30 days following your discharge date, if you are honorably discharged outside of California. Carry both your DL and discharge or separation documents during those 30 days (CVC §12817).

Nonresident Military Personnel Stationed in California

If you are 18 years old or older, refer to the “California Residents” and “Adults Visiting California” sections in this handbook for additional information. Licensees eligible for military extensions should carry documentation from their home state to verify their status to law enforcement.

New California Residents

When you become a California resident and you want to drive in California, you must apply for a California DL within 10 days. Residency is established in a variety of ways, including the following:

  • Being registered to vote in California elections.
  • Paying resident tuition at a California college or university.
  • Filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption.
  • Receiving any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.

Adults Visiting California

Visitors over 18 years old with a valid DL from their home state or country may drive in California without getting a California DL as long as their home state or country DL is valid.

Sillect Insurance Services Inc. is an auto insurance service providing a platform serving since 1986 with an average of 50% off! We are the verified agent of DMV California. We can assist you to have an auto insurance policy with a better rate. So why you’re waiting now?

Just call us at 800-833-9980 or visit our office at 4501 State Rd, Bakersfield, CA 93308.
Our License No: 0F04196

Install our Apps and Get $10 Free

>> IOS App

>> Android App


Need a free Auto Quote?

Click Your State